Cleaning recipes are handy when the store supplies run out. Homemade cleaners are also non-toxic and are better for both people and pets in the home. Cleaning recipes do not follow a one-for-all formula and you have to know which recipe to use where.
There are different cleaning needs in the kitchen; utensils, appliances, counter tops and floors.
All-purpose surface cleaner
- Mix equal parts water and vinegar, spray on and wipe. For stone and marble tops substitute vodka or rubbing alcohol for vinegar as the acidity in vinegar could eat away the stone
Cutting board disinfectant (plastic or wood)
- Cut a lemon in half and rub it on the board. Let the juice soak for 10 minutes and then rinse. Coconut oil can also be used. It will also condition wooden boards when they get too dry.
Homemade dishwasher detergent
- Mix equal parts water and liquid castile soap and a dash of lemon.
- Mix 2 teaspoons of lemon with the mixture of 1 cup soap and 1 cup water then store in a glass jar.
- Pour the mixture into the detergent compartment of the dishwasher , add white vinegar and rinse
With the toilet and shower, the bathroom needs cleaners that can disinfect and also clean away the scum and other dirt.
Scented Toilet scrub
- Pour ½ cup of baking soda into the toilet bowl and 10 drops of essential oils like tea tree essential oil. Add ¼ cup of vinegar and then scrub.
- Take 20-30 drops of tea tree oil, 2 cups of water and 3 cups liquid Castile oil and mix.
- Spray and Wipe surfaces such the toilet seat and sink.
You can make fantastic home cleaners for garment washing using natural ingredients.
Homemade fabric softener
- Mix one gallon white vinegar and 20-30 drops of essential oils like lavender.
- Add 1/3 cup of the mixture to each load of laundry.
Fabric freshener/sheet dryer
- Use a few drops of essential oils on a lint free rag
- Put your favorite herbs in a sachet
- You can add the scent by adding a few drops every time the scent fades
Cleaners that can be used for several situations are very convenient and time saving
All-purpose window and mirror cleaner
- Mix 4 parts water to 1 part white vinegar. Add a dash of lemon to help improve degreasing power. Spray on windows/mirrors and wipe.
Tile floor cleaner
- Mix 2 parts warm water and 1 part vinegar and use the mixture to mop as usual.